Spiced shrimp with tomatillo sauce and jicama-mango salad
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 small tomatillos, husked, washed, and cut into ½” cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ cup avocado, cut in ½” cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup (packed) flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cup jicama, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup mango, peeled, seeded, and julienned
- ½ cup red bell peppers, finely julienned
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 20 units)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds, ground
- ¼ tsp ancho chili, ground
- ¼ tsp fresh orange peel
- 4 leafs baby red lettuce
Combine tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, avocado, and lime juice in a blender; season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, transfer to a container, and set aside. Combine parsley and olive oil in a blender or small food processor; add ¼ tsp coarse sea salt. Blend or process until smooth, transfer to a container, and set aside. In a large bowl combine jicama, mango, and red peppers. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Set shrimp on a shallow bowl and pat-dry with paper towel. In a small bowl combine cumin, ancho chili, orange peel, salt and pepper with 2 tbsp olive oil; whisk well and pour over shrimp. Toss to coat and let stand for at least 10 minutes. Heat 1 tbsp canola oil over high heat; sauté shrimp until it is pink and cooked all the way through, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
Spoon 1 – 2 tbsp of tomatillo sauce onto a plate, follow with ½ tsbp of parsley oil in the opposite direction. Place 1 red leaf on each plate and top with spoon jicama-mango slaw over it. Place 5 shrimp in a row and top with additional parsley oil. Drizzle with fresh lime juice and serve!
Alejandra’s Trick #1502: Brine your shrimp for better results. It will help infuse your shrimp with a ‘sea-like’ flavor and give you a great texture! Brine shrimp for 30 to 60 minutes in a salty water solution.