Farmer’s Markets all over the country are bringing us amazing seasonal produce like fresh peas, arugula, and all sorts of citruses. Sometimes it is best to drop the shopping list and to get the freshest stuff from organic farmers at the market. Plan a meal around what you bring home — it’s fun to get creative!
I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Earth Day–spurring our local economies, supporting sustainable farming practices, and enjoying an amazing salad with ingredients made by our Mother Earth.
This salad has Spring all over it and it’s great for a Meatless Monday!
Arugula and radicchio citrus salad with peas and goat cheese
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz arugula
- 2 small heads of radicchio, cut into half-inch stripes
- 2.5 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 0.5 oz dehydrated mandarin orange slices
Combine lemon juice and vinegar in small bowl. Whisk in olive oil until mixture has emulsified, then whisk in honey; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Combine arugula, radicchio, and peas in a salad bowl; toss with enough dressing to coat. Sprinkle goat cheese over salad and garnish with mandarin orange slices*
* Feel free to substitute with fresh orange segments or even lemon zest or if you cannot find this item